Monday, April 1, 2013

The Awful Smell Around Campus in April


As spring rolls around, everyone is always looking forward to sitting outside, catching some rays, procrastinating on doing homework and going to class, but there always seems to be one problem, the trees that they place all around campus. Once April is here, the Pyrus calleryana Chanticleer, more commonly known as “The Semen Tree” is covered all around our Keene State Campus. This tree has even made it to urban dictionary, where it is described as smelling “like a cross between old semen, dirty vagina, and rotting fried shrimp.” 

I first caught a whiff of this lovely tree when I was here my freshman year. I was walking around campus and kept asking myself "what is that horrible smell??" I later realized that it was the trees around campus. Even now as a Senior I can not stand the smell on campus when the wind blows. I personally don't think our school used their money wisely on the expense of these trees. I believe money could be well spent on other lovely trees that are beautiful and smell a lot better. 


Do you think it was a smart idea for our school to spend and plant so many of these trees around campus even though from afar they look beautiful?

No comments:

Post a Comment